Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, New York, NY (2009-2010) M.A., Concentration: Science
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY (1991–1995) B.A., Major: Communications, Minor: History
July 2016 – Present: Senior Director of Member Content, American Psychological Association (APA), Washington, D.C.
APA is a professional organization for psychologists. APA promotes the advancement, communication, and application of psychological science and knowledge to benefit society and improve lives. The 122,000+ members of APA are served via APA.org/members. This area of the website, which I created back in 2016, provides members with exclusive value-added content, benefits and services that help them excel in their career. As a result of my efforts, membership has grown year-over-year. My role:
- Lead member content strategy, execution and marketing in support of APA’s membership acquisition, retention and engagement efforts.
- Produce exclusive member content: articles (25+/year), webinars/CEs/videos (40+/year with +50K registrations/year) a 36-page ePublication (1/year) and a bi-monthly newsletter. The newsletter has seen open rates increase from 4-6% since I took it over 2 months after my start date.
- Lead content marketing efforts via email, social media, house and print ads.
- Make adjustments to content strategy based on website, webinar and newsletter metrics. Prepare reports for staff and leadership.
- Collaborate with various APA offices on shared content opportunities.
- Regularly review and audit APA content to ensure that materials are high-value and consistent in tone with other APA departments and overall membership goals and objectives.
- Supervise a manager of member content (1), freelance writers/editors (7) and designers (2). Help with training, coaching, setting priorities and schedules.
- Follow trends in content development and dissemination, regularly evaluate APA’s content against competitors. Keep up to date on mental health news and scientific research.
Sept 2016 - Present (Passion Project): Co-Founder and Chief Content Officer, Cork Hounds, LLC
Cork Hounds is a site and mobile app for finding dog-friendly vineyards in the United States. We let our users know if dogs are allowed: outdoors, on the patio/porch, in the tasting room or sometimes all of the above. In addition, Cork Hounds provides information on tasting fees, hours of operation, Google ratings and travel blogs to vineyards/wineries Cork Hounds has visited with our own pups. My role:
- Oversee data collection and quality control
- Produce blog content and social media posts
- Manage media outreach and promotional activities with vineyards and winery associations
July 2010 – July 2016: Membership Program Director, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Washington, D.C.
AAAS is a professional organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. AAAS is the world's largest multidisciplinary scientific society and publisher of the journal Science. AAAS's 100,000+ membership consists of scientists/researchers, engineers, mathematicians and science enthusiasts. Before my hire, AAAS members got little more than a subscription to the journal Science. I was hired to bring more value to membership by creating an exclusive member content program. My efforts contributed to membership growth year-over-year, helping to reverse a 5+ year downward trend in membership renewal/enrollment. My role:
- Develop the content vision/strategy of AAAS’s exclusive member portal MemberCentral, which under my guidance, launched in November of 2010.
- Write, edit and produce science-focused content (member profiles and mission oriented articles, videos, webinars, live chats, photo galleries and podcasts) for the site with the goal of engaging and informing members on issues that matter to them.
- Create all multimedia content for MemberCentral’s evolving digital presence. Oversee and actively contribute to all aspects of webinar and video production, including strategic planning, script writing, shooting, lighting, editing and analytics.
- Maintain an editorial calendar.
- Approve all work for publication.
- Serve as quality control, ensuring content is editorially strong/sound and in step with the organization's tone/mission.
- Work with the marketing team to promote membership campaign efforts that protect and advance the AAAS brand.
- Make budgetary recommendations and operate within a budget to pay freelance writers (approx. 15), purchase equipment, and hire 3rd party vendors.
- Lead social media promotion to Twitter, FB, Google+ and YouTube.
- Use metric tools (Google Analytics, Adobe Omniture, and Brightcove) to track engagement and interest of members.
- Provide expertise to AAAS programs/departments seeking to use digital tools -- webinars, video or audio to increase the impact of their research findings and engagement campaigns.
- Recommend new strategies, partnerships and resources to further AAAS’s mission and goals. Select and purchased video production equipment.
- Prepare analytical reports for management/leadership as needed.
- Operate independently, with a high degree of self-sufficiency.
Sept 2009 – May 2010: M.A. Grad, Columbia University- J-School, New York, NY
This one-academic year Master of Arts program is for journalists seeking to hone their skills and specialize in news coverage in one of the following areas: business, arts, politics or science. My focus, science journalism. I completed a multimedia thesis project – a long-form 10,000 word story with (5) supporting videos and photos. The story looks at the conflicts threatening the endangered Hawaiian monk seal.
Jan 2008 – Sept 2009: Editor/Producer, New York, NY
At the beginning of 2008, I moved to New York City to pursue new opportunities as a web journalist. I ultimately decided to go back to school for an advanced degree in journalism. My roles:
- Essence.com: Manage and update editorial content for Essence.com’s homepage, news and entertainment sections.Coordinate daily coverage with editorial and production staff. Prepare analytic reports for management. Utilize SEO best practices for headlines and photos.
- RealSimple.com: Load content into Real Simple’s new publishing system/CMS.
- amNew York: Manage an editorial staff of five. Update homepage, write original stories/blogs, report in the field, shoot and edit video. Shoot/Edit runway collections for New York Fashion Week.
Aug 1995 – Dec 2007: Editor/Producer, Cable News Network (CNN), Atlanta, GA
CNN is a global provider of 24-hour breaking news coverage on cable television, web and radio. News is a fast-paced, highly competitive and time-sensitive environment. Working at CNN demands excellent journalism skills, strong interpersonal skills, a task-oriented style, and the ability to multi-task and swiftly problem solve. My successful execution of the daily work while developing and maintaining productive relationships with CNN staff, partners and management, helped me move into positions of increasing responsibility over a 12-year period. My roles:
CNN.com Science & Technology Editor/Producer (2004–2007)
- Develop, write and produce editorial content for CNN.com’s Tech section using CNN’s news gathering resources (wires, newsgathering desks etc.). Notified the homepage editor of high interest stories for front-page placement.
- Write original stories/scripts (~30), shoot video and photos in the field.
- Oversee the editing of videos ensuring the quality and tone/style were in keeping with the accompanying written story.
- Produce photo galleries and informational graphics to accompany stories.
- Work with CNET, and Popular Science on shared content partnerships.
- Write engaging headlines and copy edit using AP style guidelines.
- Follow daily site metrics to gage audience size and engagement. Make adjustments to content strategy/selection based on metric results.
- Work with a lively newsroom staff, contributing to breaking news coverage when needed.
CNN.com Assignment Editor/Producer (2001–2003)
- Assign daily stories (~10) to newsroom staff consisting of writers and editors/producers, a web master and on duty managing editor (10-15 people). Updated U.S. and World section pages with fresh content as needed. Inform the homepage editor/producer when stories were ready for placement. Aid writers and copy editors on editorial issues.
- Produce breaking news coverage, incluing 9/11, Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, bombings in the Middle East, crash of space shuttle Columbia, death of Palestinian Leader Yasser Arafat, and coverage of the 2001 election and recall.
- Fill in as weekend homepage editor/producer and weekday editor/homepage producer as needed. Duties: lead/direct newsroom staff, select story placement on homepage, write headlines and teasers, write polls and send out breaking news banners.
- Coordinate online coverage with CNN TV staff and online partners AOL and Sports Illustrated.
- Strong ability to handle multiple tasks at once and under tight deadlines.
CNN.com Associate Editor/Producer (1998-2001)
- Work with newsroom staff to produce multimedia projects – photo galleries, and infographics.
- Crop images, write captions, and build sound and video files for news stories.
CNN Associate Producer (1995–1998)
- Supervise videotape production for live news broadcasts. Coordinate video production with show producers and writer. Edit short video segments as needed.
- Other duties: floor directing, script delivery and teleprompter operation. Assist in the satellite feed routing/recording of video from around the globe.
- Skilled in all forms of content generation: writing, editing, reporting and video production.
- Proficient with the following software/platforms: Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro, Camtasia Studio, Go to Webinar and Adobe Connect.
- Experience using both proprietary and open source CMS platforms: Drupal, Wordpress, Ghost.
- Excellent editorial/news judgment. Well versed in AP style.
- 2021 Hermes Creative Award: Interconnections of Psychology and Technology -- Gold Award for PR/Communications |Strategic Programs | 74c. Digital Marketing Campaign
- 2020 Telly Award: Debt Smarts: Financing Your Future in Psychology -- Silver Award for Branded Content
- 2020 Communicator Award: Debt Smarts: Financing Your Future in Psychology — Award of Distinction in Campaign/Content Promotion
- 2019 Communicator Award: APA IMPACT: Member Content Highlights Booklet — Award of Excellence Content/Promotion Category
- 2019 Communicator Award: Technology, Mind & Society 1st Annual TMS Conference -- Award for Marketing Effectiveness
- 2019 Gold Circle Award (ASAE): APA Member Retention Campaign
- 2014 MarCom Platinum Award for AAAS MemberCentral booklet Every Scientist Has a Story
- 2011 Web Marketing Association’s 15th Annual WebAward: Outstanding Website Award for AAAS MemberCentral
- 2011 Interactive Media Award (IMA): AAAS MemberCentral — Outstanding Achievement Award in the Association Category
- 2011 Communicator Award: AAAS MemberCentral — Silver Award of Distinction (Websites – Associations)
- 2009 Recipient of the Council for the Advancement of Science Writing's (CASW) Taylor/Blakeslee and Haseltine Fellowship
- 2005 Peabody Award: CNN.com’s Coverage of Hurricane Katrina and its Aftermath
- 2005 DuPont-Columbia Award: CNN.com’s Coverage of the Tsunami in South Asia
References are available on request.